Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hero is 16 years. He has started to pee when we are gone

Customer Question
something he has never done...
Hero is 16 years. He has started to pee when we are gone something he has never done before. The questions is can we put him in a cage when we leave? He has never been caged in 16 years, he was a rescue dog.
I am against it husband of course for it.
Any help would be so appreciated.
Kathryn ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian

HI there. I am sorry Hero is having trouble with urination. If you do it right, crate training can be performed at any age. The key is to make sure that it is a positive experience for him. Start with small time periods and give him treats or something that he loves to play with to keep him from being bored or feeling anxious. I dog loves a kong treat with peanut butter or liquid cheese in it. Frozen meat based baby food in a jar can also provide distraction for a while.

However, I would recommend having Hero checked out to make sure that there is not a medical issue. Sometimes when they are producing a lot of urine, a dog's bladder will fill up and they won't be able to hold it, thus causing accidents in the house. Is he drinking more water than he used to? Does he ask to go out more often than he used to when you are home? Have there been any other changes in appetite or activity level?

Hi Kathryn Schumann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hero. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian