How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ellie Your Own Question
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 370
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Ellie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to take a small dog with me hometo the uk and then

Customer Question

I wish to take a small dog with me hometo the uk and then back here to usa. What special papers. papers do i nwe'd for the air journey? And how would the dog travel with me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

I can help you with this but since each country may have different requirements, can you tell me to which country you will be traveling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New York. To newcastle
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

I meant which country in the UK will you be traveling to? Each have their own requirements for the importation of dogs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The U.K. Is England and Scotland and that is all in the uk!
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the clarification, for some reason when I read that I translated it as "EU" but once you said Newcastle, I figured it out. I'm checking my sources, so I appreciate your patience. A tree in my yard was struck by lightening and a power line was down preventing me from using the internet this morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding . I see I was charges by you almost immediately 38dollars, with no help about my question , I think is rather fare. Can you give me the info on traveling with my pet or not?
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have been gathering the info for you and I apologize for the delay. To answer your question, it is absolutely possible and it requires your dog be microchipped, vaccinated for rabies, dewormed and have flea and tick prevention applied as well as have a health certificate from a licensed veterinarian. It is easiest if he travels with you on the plane as he has to arrive in the UK no more than 5 days before or after you.

The timing of everything (i.e. if your pet will have to be and have another health certificate for return to the US) will depend on how long you are in the UK.

Here is the website I found that has all the information you need to get your dog into the UK:

here is another website that is helpful, this is the USDA website on how to export animals:

It will be helpful to know that HomeAgain microchips can be read by international microchip readers. I do not know of other brands that can. Also as long as the rabies is an approved recombinant (NOT killed) vaccines, it is valid but the dog has to be microchipped BEFORE being vaccinated.

I have also attached an internal certificate that your vet will need to fill out and sign.

As far as returning to the United States, here's what I found. Dogs being imported into the US from other countries have to meet the requirements of the USDA and the state to which they will be traveling. The following is the website detailing all that is necessary to bring the dog back to the state of New York

This is the website from the CDC that details the requirements for dogs being imported into the US

And finally, the requirements of the UDSA must be met and this is the website for information;

The USDA requirements are the easiest because the UK is free of FMD and screwworm so all you have to worry about is the CDC requirements. These are essentially the same as the UK requirements, thus if the rabies vaccine has not expired while you are in the UK you only have to vaccinate him once- just keep your proof of vaccine and you'll have to get a new health certificate before you leave the UK. To sum up, you basically need to have your dog microchipped with a chip that can be read with an international reader (HomeAgain is the one that I know of that meets this requirement but I an sure there are others), rabies vaccinated with a recombinant vaccine (pay attention to this as some vaccines are modified live and not acceptable for entrance to the UK), be recently dewormed and treated with flea and tick prevention and have health certificate.

All very easy things to do but the timing has to be paid attention to as you have to have the dog vaccinated 21 days or more before entry to the UK.

I hope this information is helpful.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. I appreciate your patience, this was a lot of information to gather but I hope you can find it useful in traveling with your dog. If you have specific questions please feel free to let me know and I will do my best to find an answer for you.

Best regards,

Dr. Ellie

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maxwell. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie

Related Dog Veterinary Questions