Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My (24 lbs) ate about a quarter of cup of semi-sweet

Customer Question
my king charles(24 lbs) ate...
my king charles(24 lbs) ate about a quarter of cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, she seems ok. Is she ok?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the chocolate?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. I'm not really sure. I think within last 4 hrs, but could have been within during the night...
2. Yes

1- Is she showing any symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not really.. was about to take her for walk

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure my answers r getting to you

Friend, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. In this case, if she ate 1/4 of a cup (1.5 oz) of semi-sweet chocolate at her weight she can experience gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, etc. I don't believe this will be fatal for her. If you are not certain of the time of ingestion I would try to induce vomiting just in case if she ate it within the last 2 hours. This is what you can do:

1- Move quickly and try to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) she will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian