Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

I have a boxer who has been vomiting non stop is not

Customer Question

I have a boxer who has been vomiting non stop is not drinking or eating has diarrhea. We found a piece of small corn cob in his kennel and he is not active.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the boxer eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of but I did find a small piece of corn on cob
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the boxer's name and age?
Customer: Magnus and he is almost 2 he will be 2 in nov
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Magnus?
Customer: He has diabetes incipidous or thinks he does our vet hasn't determined which it is yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: He was actually stolen from our yard in Sept of last year and we just got him back thru akc reunite in April. So we don't know about his care while he was gone
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I connected to the vet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello is anyone there. I paid the fee and now noone is answering
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that Magnus is not feeling well. The piece of corn cob in his kennel makes me worried that he might have eaten the rest and if so, he may have an obstruction. Did he get into the trash recently or was he given a corn cob to chew on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I know of but we found it in his poop and I took pics a few mins ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the pics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are not is sorry. I'm super exhausted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there? Do you see the pictures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

If you found it in his stool then he ate it for sure. It may have caused Gi irritation on the way out or there may be a piece of it that is stuck and causing an obstruction. With having found it in his stool and the vomiting that he is doing I would be concerned that there is an obstruction.

The best recommendation I could make would be to take him to an emergency vet tonight and have them evaluate him for a foreign body obstruction. If there is none, then they can give him anti-nausea medication to make him better and fluids to re-hydrate him. If you cannot take him in tonight, then I recommend taking him in first thing in the morning. In the meantime, do not feed him as this can make vomiting worse. If he will drink water and hold it down you can give him small amounts at a time but if he continues to vomit the water then it should be withheld and he should see a vet right away. I can help you locate an emergency veterinarian in your area if you do not know where one is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't even want to drink water or Pedialyte
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

If he is not wanting to drink voluntarily, then do not make him drink. Since he is not willing to drink water, the best suggestion I could make is to take him to an emergency vet tonight. If he does have diabetes insidious, then he is at increased risk of dehydration because his kidneys are not able to conserve water when they need to.

Foreign body obstructions can be life threatening if they cause the intestines to rupture. If he does not have an obstruction, then he can be treated with fluids to make him feel better and anti-nausea medication so that his appetite will return.

I can help you locate an emergency veterinarian in your area if you do not know where one is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about one that is open now
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Where do you live? Are you near a major city?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neosho, Mo 64850 we live 40 mins from Joplin mo
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I've driven through Joplin many times. Ill find you an emergency veterinarian that is open now so you can take Magnus in tonight. Give me a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ellie, r u n Columbia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I know a vet who is in school in Columbia named Ellie. She actually taught my son dance as well. Thought it was a coincidence since u had been thru Joplin.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

No, I am in Wisconsin. I have driven through because I used to drive home during the summer for vet school. I found two places near you. One is in Joplin and the number is(###) ###-####this is the Emergency Pet Center in Joplin. The other number is ***** Animal Emergency Clinic of Northwest Arkansas and their number is(###) ###-#### ***** places are open either 24 hours or after hours and can take care of Magnus tonight. Best of luck!! I hope he is OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ty. Our vet opens at 7 and you think we should go tonight because he's not drinking right?
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I think that emergency treatment is best for him. I cannot tell you that he will die if you do not take him in tonight but with his pre-existing condition and vomiting on top of it I am very concerned that he could be in a life threatening position without immediate intervention. Especially if he does indeed have a foreign body obstruction and need emergency surgery to prevent further decline. I do not intend to scare you and if getting him in tonight is an extreme hardship then I recommend taking him to his vet first thing in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just called and wanted to see if my vet was an option at all it would be the nest thing for the rest of my family. But I don't want to put Magnus in harm's way if it is an obstruction. But if it's not it will be super bad that we didn't go to our vet. The last time I took one of our other dogs to the Er vet on a Sunday they charged us $1700 for a surgery they didn't even do and our vet was appalled and said they did the surgery the next day and our total would have been just under $400
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not that I don't want to get him treatment I just am very Leary of the Er Clinic's
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

I understand your hesitation and I cannot speak to your previous expereince, but I would be remiss in my obligation to you and Magnus if I didn't recommend emergency care given what I little I know about him and this specific situation. I have seen dogs that have done very poorly due to delay in treatment with foreign body obstruction and while I cannot say for sure that he has one, the circumstantial evidence tells me that its prudent to seek evaluation sooner rather than later. Since I am unable to predict how things will work out, the nest recommendation I can make is to have him evaluated tonight, but I understand your reluctance to do so given your previous experience and if you choose to not take him in tonight, he should be seen first thing in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for your frankness. I'm going o hold off for another hour and see if I can get him to drink anything
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good but if he vomits after that, I do not recommend waiting until the morning to have him seen. Pleas feel free to let me know how he does.

If you are satisfied with my services tonight, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website will know that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. I am happy to answer any further questions you have to the best of my ability.

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie