Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy was outside and I heard m crying. He is protecting

Customer Question
My puppy was outside and...
My puppy was outside and I heard him crying. He is protecting his left leg so I checked him and all feels fine. He won't put pressure on leg and cries if I try to touch it more. He isn't crying when he is left alone and walks, but won't put pressure on the leg. Do you think he broke his leg, or did he somehow dislocate his hip? I don't want him to be suffering from such. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear that your puppy is uncomfortable. The only way to know if he has an orthopedic injury is to have him examined by a vet and possibly do X-rays to see the bones. If you can identify swelling, and he will let you, you can put apply a cold pack to the area (protect him from getting too cold with a dish towel wrapped around the ice pack) and give him time to see if he begins to use the leg in a couple of hours. If he does use it and seems more comfortable you can continue to monitor him to make sure he is recovering as expected. I recommend strict rest for the next 7-14 days in this case. Keep him confined to a leash when outside and do not let him jump on or off furniture or run in the house. he should be kept in a kennel or small space during this time to minimize movement and allow healing to occur.

Sometimes when there is acute muscle trauma but no actual injury to the bone, the pain will be very intense initially but dissipate rather quickly. If he is still limping and crying or if the leg is being held at an odd angle or he is unable to use it, then I recommend a trip to the emergency veterinarian for evaluation and pain medication as he may have a tendon, ligament or bone injury that needs medical attention and intervention.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. He seems fine. He isn't crying but laid down and went to sleep. I will monitor his condition and if tomorrow he is not any better, I will take him to my Vet.

If he was able to lay down and sleep, then I would be less suspicious of a serious orthopedic injury. Dogs that have fractures or dislocations are too painful to sleep. I also recommend watching him for signs of an allergic reaction as this can happen from stepping on a bee or a bug bite and that can also look like you are describing. If there is no swelling and he is comfortable, continued monitoring at home is fine. If you are satisfied with my services, please rate me so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time. Best of luck to you and your puppy. Sounds like he is in great hands!!

I noticed that you have not yet responded to my last message or accepted the answer I gave. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian