Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I am not sure he just vomited and before he could do it

Customer Question
again he was whining pretty...
I am not sure he just vomited and before he could do it again he was whining pretty bad, then vomited again and laid down, i rubbed his belly and could feel the rumbling, i let him outside and he seems okay, was just checking rabies cuz after midnight last night he chased a fox pup in the woods, whole thing was less then a minute, i don't believe he caught the pup, he came out calling out to his mother
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: i
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I have some rice I was wondering if I should make a little, btw he didn't finish his dinner last night either, no I don't think so, as soon as outside he began his barking and laid down
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chip is a rescue approx 4yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chip?
Customer: No honestly I needed to check rabies which says nothing about vomiting, you don't think I can try to calm his stomach with rice
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This first happened at 6:30am about one hour ago, no he didn't get into anything, I could see bits of his last treat in the vomit, he weighs approximately 50 lbs., I brought him back inside he is laying near me, I don't believe he is feeling well but no other visual signs that I noticed.

Please give me a few more minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the symptoms that you are describing are not consistent with rabies. Plus, in order for a dog to get rabies he would need to get a bite wound from the rabid animal (fox). Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to see family vet for a hands on examination, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. In the meantime in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting; no exercise.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian