Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog's eye is matted and she doesn't want to open it. She

Customer Question
My dog's eye is matted...
My dog's eye is matted and she doesn't want to open it. She jus got groomed yesterday & I though that she had soap in her eye but today it's still tender and she doesn't want to open it. Upon opening it it looks red.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey. She's 8 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it one or both eyes?

2- When you say it is matted, do you mean full of hair?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replied & am waiting for an answer. As I said Bailey is 8 yr old & it is only affecting her Rt eye.

I am sorry, I did not get your reply. Can you tell me is the eye matted full of hair?

I am waiting on your reply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't say it's actually matted with hair but it seems to be inflamed & red. She is opening it a little bit this morning but I'm wondering what has made it so it irritated. And if there is anything I could put in it without making it worse.

Friend, it sounds like she is squinting the eye; when this happens it is sign of discomfort within the eye. There are many possible causes; common causes are: Corneal ulcers, infections, a foreign body, insect sting, etc. to name a few causes. She will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not let her rub or scratch the eye; if she does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to prevent her from scratching.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy over the counter eyewash; irrigate the eye 3-4 times a day.

3- Do Not give over the counter pain killers, most are toxic to dogs and may interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use.

4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian