Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is vomiting and has diarrhea s poop was bloody

Customer Question
My dog is vomiting and...
My dog is vomiting and has diarrhea his poop was bloody yesterday and he won't eat but he will still drink water but not a lot. Is there anything I can do? I can't afford an emergency vet right now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He ate a pack of raw chicken breast that I was thawing on the counter I didn't notice it was gone until he already got to it and ate it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cosmo, and he is 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cuomo,?
Customer: I noticed since this started he is shedding a lot more and he is a Weimaraner and they are not known to shed a lot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update on how Cosmo is doing?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- How long has it been since he ate the chicken breast? Any bones?

4- How long has this been going on?

5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

6- How long since the last time he vomited?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cosmo seems to be doing ok. He slept through the the whole night. I don't know exactly how much he weighs but I want to say around 45- 50 lbs. he ate the chicken 2 days ago. And no bones. It's been going on for two days now. And the last time he vomited was last night

Friend, when we see bloody diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a young dog like Cosmo common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotdine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- Offer him a bland diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian