Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ran away from me today, not she is in a lot of pain

Customer Question
my dog ran away from...
my dog ran away from me today, not for but she is in a lot of pain and there a movalbe bump on her hind leg. I was wondering if less than 1/4 of 350 soma would be ok to give her. she weighs between 60-70 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: not wounds just a soft round moveable bump on her hind leg
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Why?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she is 10 years old. we walk two times a day about a mile total other than that she has not has any health issue her whole life.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: why do you need to know that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

The centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxants such as carisoprodol (Soma) are toxic to dogs and need to be avoided. Aspirin is a safe and effective antiinflammatory analgesic when dosed at 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals. Acetaminophen is safe at 7 mg/lb thrice daily but isn't antiinflammatory. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Far pain I have methadon and morphine would either be alright to give her for pain in moderation?

Yes, but side effects may be problematic. In dogs the starting oral dose of regular morphine is 0.5 mg/lb every 4-6 hours. Sustained-release morphine is used in dogs at 1-2.5 mg/lb twice daily. (Never crush or break sustained-release morphine which could be life-threatening.) Adverse effects include depression of respiratory function, nausea, vomiting, and increased intestinal peristalsis causing defecation after an initial dose.

Methadone is occasionally used in dogs but only parenterally (in any route other than orally). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian