Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 2 year old irish red and setter (70 pounds) drools very

Customer Question

my 2 year old irish red and white setter (70 pounds) drools very much in the car; my vet charges $60 for 4 cerenia pills of 160mg each. This equates to 1 round trip in a car. Too expensive to even try it.
Dramamine does not work; Prochlorperazine 10 mg does not work.
I do not feed him for at least 6 hours before the trip so he does not vomit; but the drooling is like a flood. What ese can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Would it bother you if he was a little tranquilized?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

This is DRB and I would be happy to help you......do you mind him being mildly tranquilized?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no problem at all
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Customer service will try to reach you as there was a problem with payment........

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok- please answer not by phone
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Ok, how much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
70pounds
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

How old is your dog?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 years old
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

ok, I would ask your vet for some acepromazine. It works great and you will have no drooling. Give 2 hours before a car ride. You will have to play with the dose to figure out what is optimal for him. I would start with 25 mg and if that does not work try 50 mg. This drug is very cheap. Hope this helps.

Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional

Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions......DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I tried acepromozine last year and it did not work. I have since moved to a different city and will need to call my old vet and ask if he had prescribed it back then.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

The dose was probably not correct if you did use it. Dose very wide range. Can give 25 mg up to 75 mg with your dog and must be given 2 hours before. It has always worked on all patients I have ever prescribed it to.

Can I help you further?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will re-try it using 25mg; if it does not work, I will try 50 mg
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

remember to give 2 hours before car ride.......can I assist you further?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you recommend a trusted website to purchase it from?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

It is a prescription drug. So you will have to get a prescription from your vet. I do not trust online pharmacies. I have had too many bad experiences.Your vet will have it and it is very cheap. Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks!
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.Let me know if you need additional help.

Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I would very much appreciate a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get the pills and try them soon; otherwise how can I give a rating?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

On the page you are on, there should be a place to rate me 1 star or 5 stars....if you give me at least3 stars I will be compensated. Thank you very much....