Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 2 year old irish red and setter (70 pounds) drools very

Customer Question
my 2 year old irish...
my 2 year old irish red and white setter (70 pounds) drools very much in the car; my vet charges $60 for 4 cerenia pills of 160mg each. This equates to 1 round trip in a car. Too expensive to even try it.
Dramamine does not work; Prochlorperazine 10 mg does not work.
I do not feed him for at least 6 hours before the trip so he does not vomit; but the drooling is like a flood. What ese can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Would it bother you if he was a little tranquilized?

This is DRB and I would be happy to help you......do you mind him being mildly tranquilized?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no problem at all

Customer service will try to reach you as there was a problem with payment........

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok- please answer not by phone

Ok, how much does your dog weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
70pounds

How old is your dog?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 years old

ok, I would ask your vet for some acepromazine. It works great and you will have no drooling. Give 2 hours before a car ride. You will have to play with the dose to figure out what is optimal for him. I would start with 25 mg and if that does not work try 50 mg. This drug is very cheap. Hope this helps.

Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional

Sincerely, DRB

Let me know if you have additional questions......DRB

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I tried acepromozine last year and it did not work. I have since moved to a different city and will need to call my old vet and ask if he had prescribed it back then.

The dose was probably not correct if you did use it. Dose very wide range. Can give 25 mg up to 75 mg with your dog and must be given 2 hours before. It has always worked on all patients I have ever prescribed it to.

Can I help you further?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will re-try it using 25mg; if it does not work, I will try 50 mg

remember to give 2 hours before car ride.......can I assist you further?

Sincerely, DRB

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you recommend a trusted website to purchase it from?

It is a prescription drug. So you will have to get a prescription from your vet. I do not trust online pharmacies. I have had too many bad experiences.Your vet will have it and it is very cheap. Hope that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks!

You are very welcome.Let me know if you need additional help.

Sincerely, DRB

I would very much appreciate a positive rating. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will get the pills and try them soon; otherwise how can I give a rating?

On the page you are on, there should be a place to rate me 1 star or 5 stars....if you give me at least3 stars I will be compensated. Thank you very much....

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian