Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My boxer just ate a very thin plastic bag. Eleanor. She's

Customer Question

My boxer just ate a very thin plastic bag.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Eleanor. She's 12.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eleanor?
Customer: No. I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Roughly how big was the bag which Eleanor ate?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approximately 32x22. It was the bag that held my fajita beef. I dropped it on the floor on the way to the tray and she grabbed it as soon as it hit the ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's very very thin... Thinner than a ziplock baggy

Hello again Lizzie

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Luckily you have a larger breed dog so in my experience the chances are that this item will just pass through her digestive tract without problem.

2. However there are no guarantees and very occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems with such objects related to abdominal tract obstruction. You would be therefor wise to monitor Eleanor for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms.

3. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Eleanor's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We feed her at night. Should we go ahead and feed her as normal? She typically eats hard dog food, but we can get soft if that is helpful.

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further.

With this sort of object it should be fine just to treat her as normal as far as food and everything else goes.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I appreciate your time and help.

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Lizzie,

I am just checking back in to see how Eleanor is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the plastic bag ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.