Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Last night my teacup chihuahua started vomiting and had bad

Customer Question

Last night my teacup chihuahua started vomiting and had bad diarrhea,today it still continues and now she's started panting. I gave her some pepto last night,it didn't seem to help. Should I be concerned
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the chihuahua eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not really,we're thinking maybe it was some corned beef we gave her,it didn't really agree with us either. Lol. I bought some pidialyte to put in her water and was thinking of giving her some more pepto. She's not eating either
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the chihuahua?
Customer: Just a enlarged heart,but not super serious. She's 5 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the vomiting and diarrhea look like? Any blood ?

How much Pepto did you give and how much does she weigh?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diarrhea is dark and totally liquid,her vomit was an orange color,I gave her 1/2 teaspoon of pepto through oral injection,she weighs 5-6 pounds. She seems to be able to keep water down. Her gums are pink and slightly sticky. She licking her chops alot. There seems to be a hard spot in her belly but she doesn't seem to be in any pain. There is no possibility of her injesting foreign objects or chemicals.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Dark like black? Is that since the Pepto Bismol (which discolors stools) or before?

Is the hard spot something you feel inside, not on the skin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dark like black,before and after the pepto. Today though,it isn't as much as far as volume,but quite frequent. The hard spot is inside,and as of just recently she has started breathing hard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I take her into the vet?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

First, I do want to note that Pepto Bismol can color the feces black. That said, if it was black before then we’d have been worried about a bleeding stomach ulcer, gut trauma, or a stomach tumor (less likely at her age) since the black is the color of blood that has been digested by the intestines. Therefore, if it was truly black before the Pepto then we'd want to have her seen urgently to be assessed and started on gastroprotectants and anti-nausea medication by injection.

If there is any delay in having her seen, then we need to use supportive care. The Pepto should be stopped (since the aspirin in it can hurt the stomach more). Instead, you can use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. I appreciate that you have use Pepto Bimsol already, but again we don't want to use it here. So, we may need to instead consider a more stomach friendly option like OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing, but I am worried that the black stool from before and these signs all together are suggestive of a gut bleed. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to have her seen urgently. Any delay and the above supportive care can be used until you can do so.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,we'll take her in,thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I do think that is safest with the black feces before the Pepto.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diarrhea has now turned orange
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

That is better given our concerns. Orange diarrhea is a more normal color for our GI bugs, pancreatitis and such. So, as long as those gums are pink, her belly isn't sore, and we see no more black stool on its own; we can use the above supportive care and keep a close eye on her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.