Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 4 year old shitzu mix who weighs 12 lb. We are on

Customer Question
vacation on Whidbey Island Washington...
I have a 4 year old shitzu mix who weighs 12 lb. We are on vacation on Whidbey Island Washington. She started licking, biting and scratching about 2 weeks after we got here. She doesn't have fleas, we check her often for that, so we are guessing allergies. Someone suggested Benydrl but I'm not sure how much you can give a dog
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I 'm Dr. Deb.

I did respond to your first question about Maddy which I'll repeat below. I tried to list this question as a duplicate so that you shouldn't have to be charged twice for the same issue; unfortunately, I've been unable to do so. Perhaps you can contact Customer Service and request a refund.

I'm sorry for any confusion about how the site works. Deb

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Maddy is so uncomfortable; she must be miserable with all the scratching and biting that she's doing.

Benadryl (as well as other antihistamines) can be given to dogs when they're itchy but if the itch level is really high, then it may not be quite strong enough to be effective. But, it's certainly worth a try. The dose I'd use for a dog this size would be 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet twice a day.

Sedation can often be a side effect for many dogs.

I'd also consider giving her a soothing oatmeal shampoo bath; let the shampoo sit on her body for 10 minutes or so before washing it off.

Fish oil supplements may help for the long term since they have anti-inflammatory effects; unfortunately, they often take several weeks to be effective so wouldn't provide immediate relief but might down the road a bit.

Allergy season has been pretty rough for a lot of dogs this year so it's possible that this is what's triggering her behavior. Many patients will require stronger drugs than anti-histamines but it may help to provide at least some relief.

I hope this helps. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian