Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I just got my dog on Thursday and she hasn't wanted to eat.

Customer Question

I just got my dog on Thursday and she hasn't wanted to eat. They told me they got her first shot and dewormed but I was concerned because she has diarrhea and a little blood when she is done. Should I take her in or is that somewhat normal from her having the diarrhea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She is 7 weeks old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Diarrhea with hematochezia (blood in the stool) at her age can result from quite a few different intestinal parasites - hookworms, whipworms, the protozoan Giardia, and coccidia. Her worming may not have addressed all of these parasites. If you were given a health record when you adopted her, please take a look at it and let me know if the type of wormer were written on the record. If you don't see anything like that, it would be prudent to have a vet perform an ova and parasite exam in an attempt to clarify which parasites remain in your dog.

Alternatively, you can administer an over the counter product containing fenbendazole (Panacur) which can be found in many pet/feed stores for three consecutive days. Fenbendazole is ideal for addressing all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as Giardia. It doesn't address coccidia, however. For that parasite, a vet will need to prescribe ponazuril or sulfadimethoxine (less effective). Because she isn't eating, please consider having a vet administer supplemental fluids by needle and perhaps send home a convalescent food that you could syringe into your pup. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?