Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 14 year old golden retriever suffers from neuropathy, has

Customer Question

my 14 year old golden retriever suffers from neuropathy, has had a laryngeal tieback in 2012, was diagnosed with an alleged brain tumor in the olfactory region(most likely) in January. He currently takes levothyroxin for hypothyroidism, levitericetam as an anticonvulsant(although has only had one seizure which led to the brain tumor diagnosis) 10mg of prednisone as an anti inflammatory for edema in the brain, and currently for the next two weeks is on clavamox for a mild aspirate pneumonia. Despite this laundry list of issues, he is a happy guy. wakes up wagging his tail, walks for about 5 minutes each morning to do his business, and plays in the grass rolling around and enjoying the morning after our walk. Loves to eat and is hand fed a special diet to monitor pace of food intake. He still makes every attempt at walking up the 4 stairs we have to get into the house although I insist on helping him. On our last vet visit Wednesday, his pain management doctor asked me if he has been burping more. I noticed this morning he has. Why would she ask this question? what might the burping increase signify?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Burping can indicate aerophagia - the ingestion of air - as would occur more often in dogs with achalasias - swallowing defects. It's now thought that laryngeal paralysis is just one symptom of a more general polyneuropathy called GOLPP - geriatric onset laryngeal paralysis polyneuropathy - which can result in an achalasia.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.