Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Not sure if a family member dropped a subutex. He keeps

Customer Question
falling down he's older and...
Not sure if a family member dropped a subutex. He keeps falling down he's older and he keeps falling down which he has problems with his legs anyway but we found a pill that looks like it could be that medicine and he's crying and I'm scared
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Just that he's an older Dog. What do we do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

How much does he weigh and how many milligrams of burpenorphine was in that Subutex, please? Please note that this drug is poorly absorbed unless it stays in the mouth until it's absorbed through the oral mucous membranes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
8/2mg looks like he just licked it

Thank you. If he had ingested a full 8 mg (with only 5% available if swallowed) = 0.4 mg - a dose for a 40 lb dog. Just licking it shouldn't be responsible for his current behavior, however. I would be more concerned about his back at this time - a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as a slipped disk, degenerative myelopathy, or a tumor in or around his spinal cord. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian