Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate half pound of

Customer Question

My dog ate half pound of weed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

While it's difficult to seriously intoxicate a dog with THC, 1/2 of a pound is going to cause profound sedation, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), vomiting, and hypothermia. If Izzy ingested this within the hour, I would induce emesis with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. If he doesn't vomit within 15 minutes, repeat the same dose. Once he stops vomiting for 1/2 of an hour, activated charcoal should be given to adsorb any remaining THC in his GI tract. Follow the instructions on the particular activated charcoal you can find in your local pharmacy or bring Izzy to his vet who can tube the charcoal into Izzy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does the side Effects last

It's dose-related - a few hours to up to 4 days. 1/2 pound is likely to cause symptoms for 4 days if Izzy is untreated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.