Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a pic of a wound ('t know what got m, but I suspect

Customer Question
I have a pic of...
I have a pic of a wound (don't know what got him, but I suspect some kind of bite). My question needs to be followed by the pic for vet to understand. Can I send a pic?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Yes, you can upload a pic by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get the pic? There was an "add files" button so I sent it that way. No paper clip. Oh - sorry... Aparently I've sent it 3 times. Let me delete 2... Ok, there you go. You may not know what happened, but maybe can tell me if what I'm doing will eventually help it heal. Some of the swelling has gone down so far. We are 50+ miles from a vet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I suspect that there's a plant awn (foxtail) in what looks like an abscess and fistula. This won't heal until the wound is explored and the awn removed. Please see image of foxtail.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We do have those plants here. So I assume we need to see a vet to see if something is in there? The fact that the swelling has gone down doesn't mean it's not in it anymore?

The abscess has drained through the fistula you can see in the middle of the wound. That reduces the size of the swelling but until a vet removes the awn the abscess remains. These awns can migrate. In the case in which an awn has entered the paw between the digits, the awn may continue through the paw and exit through the bottom of the paw but that takes some time and considerable damage occurs while it's migrating. Alternatively, it can migrate up the leg and a new abscess form where it lodges. Yes, please have a vet take care of this at your earliest convenience. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help. We will see his vet asap.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that Aso will tended to promptly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Surely,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Aso. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian