Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Dog has renal diease and lymphoma been feeding Cancer diet

Customer Question

Dog has renal diease and lymphoma been feeding Cancer diet which is higher in protein want a good diet for dog with both diease thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This is a tough call. There are renal diets out there, but the problem is that they are pretty protein deficient. Many internal medicine specialists are not recommending against feeding these renal diets as the patients become so thin and wasted.

I would actually continue to feed the cancer diet that is higher in protein. I would then supplement with Azodyl. This is a supplement that helps prevent ammonia absorption from the gut. I would also supplement with Maalox or Mylanta (Aluminum Hydroxide). This helps to limit the absorption of Phosphorous from the gut. When doing this, you're going to help protect the kidneys while also giving the calories needed to keep weight on in the face of Lymphoma.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on predisone 2x a day plus amoxillian 2x day and a acid pill one a day been adding a product call life gold also on pet - Tinic vitamin2 x a day was kinda wanting a 2 th opinion on all this
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ideally, I would be using chemotherapy. Chemo has a high remission rate and a survival time of ~ 12 months. Pred alone has a survival time of ~ 2 months for lymphoma.

Amoxicillin is only needed if there is an infection present. Antacids are a good idea. Life gold and pet tinic are decent supplements, so I wouldn't change those.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your saying keep using what I have been but stop amoxillian add azodly and maalox or mylanta along with the acid reducer and predisone he's on other vet came him the meds all but life gold I google it from Cancer site but they didn't recommet giving chemo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other information would be great about diet so on thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

That is correct.

I would highly recommend a consult with an oncologist and chemo. Nearly every Lymphoma case I refer for chemo will come back and thank me for doing that. You're talking about a 12 month vs 2 month survival time. They also have a good quality of life while going through chemo. Chemo in dogs is not like chemo in people. In people, we use high doses as we try to cure cancer. In dogs, we use lower doses as our goal is not a cure. Our goal is a good quality of life with the cancer in remission.

Here's a nice write up on Lymphoma in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=575

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

And here's one on nutritional therapy for Lymphoma:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1697

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have already see a oncologist that was there advice said would only prolong his diease thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plus I can't afford all the cost might be why they told us this
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I would follow the oncologist's advice regarding chemo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wasn't sure if the high protein was harming kidneys more he's acts like nothing is wrong just not as active as normal oncologist just said feed whatever he wanted and stated if treated only give him 6 months so why I'm question all this has mass in chest plus enlarge nodles in stomach and liver
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

We're moving away from the protein restrictive kidney diets, so at this time I would say to stay on the diet that he is doing well on. With cancer and kidney disease, we don't want to restrict the protein intake.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for all you information I just purchase a dog food that's call dr Gary for my over weight beagle hope it helps her loss some weight again thanks I will ck out those sites that's all I been doing is goggle stuff
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Happy to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way he I was told he had T- cell lymphoma
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok. T-cell is a little less responsive to chemo than b-cell.