Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My phone died earlier but my dog drank a bit of bleach, Now

Customer Question
Hi yes my phone died...
Hi yes my phone died earlier but my dog drank a bit of bleach
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: Now hes sitting here just closing his eyes with his head up like if he was falling asleep
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hes about 1 year old and his name is Panda
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Panda?
Customer: I gave him some milk and bread
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 year ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dogs do the oddest things sometimes. Bleach is a very bad product to be ingested, even in small amounts. There is the need for an immediate veterinary visit.

Straight bleach (6% sodium hypochlorite) can potentially cause digestive tract burns which can lead to esophageal strictures and possibly, but less likely, aspiration pneumonia. Treatment involves supportive care and along with digestive tract protectants. IT is tough to predict how a dog will do, but it depends on the level of burns involved.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was bleach with alot of water not just straight bleach and he only got like 2 licks before I could stop him and now hes just licking his lips every now and then and just drowzy

That sounds much better. Hopefully, it was pretty dilute. It can cause significant nausea (the lip licking, possibly drooling). We would still recommend treat with gastrointestinal protectant medication and monitor. I recommend reach out to your veterinarian. At a minimum start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) every 12 hours.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified