Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Swollen lower belly sheath area. dog does not seem in

Customer Question
swollen lower belly sheath area...
swollen lower belly sheath area. dog does not seem in discomfort. blood test came back clean and its not lymphoma
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: wilson...age is a mystery...prob 12-14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wilson?
Customer: has had growths cut off his sheath before
JA: Is Wilson bleeding a lot?
Customer: nope
JA: Phew. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Were the previous growths biopsied? If so, were any of them mast cell tumors which could have degranulated at this time causing the swelling you're seeing? Has Wilson's prepuce been reflected back to the point that its entirety could be examined for tumor? This might require dissociation or anesthesia.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vet didn't know what causing the tumor, he did not say mast cell. The dog actually did seem in discomfort last night just from the way he is sitting. It is spreading super fast and its really hot. It started off as a lump in the belly around of his leg, but in the past week it has spread to the sheath area.

Wilson's vet needs to consider a mast cell tumor (particularly at his age) or another neoplasm (cancer/particularly at his age) or even bacterial abscess if there's a history of trauma - either of which can cause such "super fast" and "hot" spreading. I'd like to be more specific for you but such a presentaton needs to be examined hands-on. Please have Winston rechecked at your earliest convenience. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian