Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is panting heavily, is restless, is swallowing

Customer Question
repeatedly, and trying to eat...
My dog is panting heavily, is restless, is swallowing repeatedly, and trying to eat grass when I take him outside. This started just he ate his dinner.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duke, he is a Doberman and turns 9 next month
JA: How old is Duke?
Customer: Almost 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight

I am so sorry to hear your pet is showing these symptoms tonight...

The primary cause of drooling and licking lips is nausea in dogs. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as a stick in the mouth, a mass orally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

So in this situation the ideal thing is to treat as if it it nausea because it is the most readily treatable condition and if there is no change in the next 12 hours a veterinary exam is warranted to determine the underlying cause and begin appropriate treatment

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup
- Take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- No more food tonight since you have already fed to allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything else orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

If his abdomen is swollen, he begins to dry retch, unable to lay down comfortably for any length of time then please get him to a veterinary er. With his age and breed he could have bloat which is life threatening

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is not just licking his lips, he trying to swallow. Almost as if food might be stuck in his throat. He is not really drooling, but he is still panting very heavily.I did give him some Pepcid and took him for a walk. How long does it normally take to kick in?He will lay down for short stints but is very excited and wants to go back out.

I apologize for the delayed response. I have seen this in two cases where they had an allergic reaction to something and the pepcid and benadryl has worked 1 mg/ pound but may cause sedation. Is his abdomen swollen? Often they are swallowing a lot of air and this can progress to bloat if not careful

In one case a veterinary er visit was needed to control the swallowing and gas ingestion with steroids and the er also thought it sounded like an allergic reaction

I am signing off for the evening, I apologize if I missed you and truly hope that Duke's symptoms are resolving...

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and wanted to check in on Duke? How is he doing? i would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian