Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's a pit and boxer mix. Sweet boy named Lucky. He was

Customer Question
He's a pit bull and...
He's a pit bull and boxer mix. Sweet boy named Lucky. He was vomiting blood and had dark stool. He's had somewhat of a history of vomiting after eating, but never blood before now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Lucky eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
JA: How old is Lucky?
Customer: He's a rescue dog so we're not sure but we think about 4 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: He was abused pretty badly by an original owner. Had cigarette burns on his neck and appeared to have been in a fight with another dog. But he's the sweetest, gentlest dog. He has separation anxiety. He was also very spooked by the fireworks a week ago. So I'm wondering if he has a stomach ulcer that may have been triggered by stress and anxiety.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. Not than we know of.
2. About 60 pounds
3. Not much of an appetite, but that's fairly normal for him. He has had a history of occasionally vomiting when he eats.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've wanted to have an endoscopy done in the past to better understand his stomach issues, but I know it's very expensive. But now with it being bloody vomiting I'm real scared and think an endoscopy is needed for sure. What do you think an endoscopy would cost? I'm in Virginia.

Friend, the dark color stool is likely the result of bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract. You are right to suspect ulcers as a possible cause. But, in dogs they are usually not caused by stress instead we need to consider things like: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, tumors or even part of a systemic disease. Doing an endoscopy is an excellent idea to determine the exact underlying cause. Cost varies between clinic and states but you are looking at around 200-300 dollars. Prior to going for endoscopy I would just have family vet examine him and do some xrays, fecal analysis and blood work as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian