Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has developed sudden hearing loss along with severe

Customer Question
anxiety. Any help?? She...
My dog has developed sudden hearing loss along with severe anxiety. Any help?? She is a cushings dog
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gregg, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help. What is your dogs name? Age, breed, sex? Are there other issues along with the cushings?Sorry for all the questions but cases like these can be difficult to sort out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her name is ***** ***** she is 8 years old. Last night she was pacing and panting until I finally her 1/2 Xanax (ok'd by my vet) and she calmed down a little -- but wouldn't sleep in the bed room as usual.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, she's a Havanese -- she does not appear to be in pain

Hard to be exact, but first thing I would do is a full physical/neurologic exam and some basic blood work. Things I would be concerned about are complications from the Cushings Disease or possibly a stroke. Is this a problem only at night or all day long?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My vet says she did not have a stroke, she did a physical exam and found nothing, said it wasn't related to Cushings and we are doing blood work next week. The problem is normally at night and does not occur when she is asleep.

I apologize for my absence. My internet has been down for about 4 hours. I just got it back now

The fact it is worse at night makes me think of some form of adult onset dementia. Do you notice any other changes in her behavior or habits?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian