Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Have an elderly dog in good health until recently..... She

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, Have an...
Hi Pearl, Have an elderly dog in good health until recently..... She had a episode of not being able to get up and my vet recommend me giving her 1.2 Mel's under skin of adequate. She had a second dose last Monday.... He noticed she had a heart murmur.....she had a cough that started about 3 weeks ago but has gotten much worse the past few days. This morning my husband said she "threw up" some phlegm that had red in it.....she just coughed up some phlegm with bright blood in it..... But she acts good In between ....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Patches
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Patches?
Customer: No just worried
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. I would highly recommend getting her into your vet to get an x-ray of the chest. The blood in the phlegm causes concern for a pneumonia (sometimes may not show severe illness), pulmonary hypertension, emphysema, lung parasites (heartworms included) or tumors in the lung. It is possible for the blood to come from the trachea and mouth, but there could still be some major issues from that. Anything is possible, but it is unlikely to be due to the Adequan, considering that the cough started before then. I would be careful with injecting it under the skin. I have seen couple of dogs have really bad reactions (i.e.; granulomatous masses) from giving it that way. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian