Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog is on Terbinafine 250 mg and she hurt her nd paw. I

Customer Question

My dog is on Terbinafine 250 mg and she hurt her hind paw. I gave her a low dose aspirin. She is a Westie and weighs 22 pounds. I never thought about drug interaction. Is there any the I should be worried about?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

According to the veterinary formula these are the medications that interact with terbinafine so you should be just fine:

Drug Interactions

• The following drug interactions have either been reported or are theoretical in humans or animals receiving terbinafine and may be of significance in veterinary patients. Unless otherwise noted, use together is not necessarily contraindicated, but weigh the potential risks and perform additional monitoring when appropriate.

• Cyclosporine: Terbinafine may increase the elimination of cyclosporine.
    • Rifampin: May increase terbinafine clearance.
  • As it shares the same metabolic pathway (CYP2D6), terbinafine could affect the metabolism of:

• Beta-Blockers
    • MAO Inhibitors (e.g., amitraz, selegiline, etc.)
    • SSRI’s (e.g., fluoxetine, etc.)
  • Tricyclic Antidepressants

​As you can see aspirin is not listed in this group so hopefully this will allow piece of mind. In regards ***** *****:

An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today. You can rotate warm and cool compresses in ten minute intervals on the paw as well as soft circular massage to provide relief

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to be taking a dinner break in a moment so there maybe a delay to my further responses. I will return in a little bit to see if you have additional questions or comments I can assist with

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes this evening

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman