Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a male yorkie about 10lbs. he has a dry cough was

Customer Question
wondering how much robitussin dm...
I have a male yorkie about 10lbs. he has a dry cough was wondering how much robitussin dm I should give him a day?/
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** weighs about 10 lbs.
JA: How old is Archie?
Customer: he is about 16 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Archie?
Customer: not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Archie has this cough!

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief but with his age if there is no relief please consider a veterinary exam to ensure there is no underlying cause for concern such as pneumonia, heart disease, collapsing trachea that requires medical management

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer. And Robitussin DM is actually not advised in pets because the DM part is toxic to dogs

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian