Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

MY MALE DOG WAS NEUTERED VERY AND AT AGE 13 NOW HAS A

Customer Question

MY MALE DOG WAS NEUTERED VERY YOUNG AND AT AGE 13 NOW HAS A SWOLLEN PROSTATE. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT FOR HIM TO URINATE. IS THERE ANY MEDICATION TO HELP THIS?"
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Enlarged prostates in neutered males are almost always and indicator of prostatic cancer. Biopsies would need to be done to confirm this, but if it is cancer there is not much that you can do once it gets large enough to interfere with urination. Chemotherapy could be attempted to try to shrink the prostate if you went to see an oncologist, but the prognosis is not great. Other than that, urinary catheters can provide temporary relief, but not solve the underlying problem. Some surgeons will attempt surgical solutions, but those too are not universally successful.

I'm sorry that I don't have more help to offer you. Best wishes.