Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What to do when your dog gets in the poison

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

For the most part it depends on what poison, how long ago it was and how much. Can you tell me these things? And how is your puppy doing now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I'm not sure if it was cat nip or meds cation or poison i just know that he is very nervous his eyes shifty like scared and his body is shakey in his insides this has happend to him twice before and it cost me $700.00 and then $800.00 in not sure what it is his getting into never see anything just see him acting strange

If it has happen multiple times it is less likely to be poison. The only thing I could think of that could maybe cause something like that is some kinds of flea medication. It isn't happening after giving him flea preventative is it? If not then I would worry that this is some form of seizure or neurologic disorder. These things can be very difficult to diagnose. I assume that they have done a basic workup and tested his blood work when you have brought him in before?

If bloodwork has not shown anything then sometimes you have to do a full workup including an MRI of his brain to know what is going on. If this is a frequent or repeated problem you might be able to talk to your veterinarian and see if an anti anxiety medication would help. I like one called Trazadone. You can give it as when needed and it works well if anxiety is a factor in his episodes.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sure I have nothing out and its not flea medcation didn't put any on him his just like scared and not knowing what's going on he didn't have convulsion or black out but I don't know if they have seizures like humans do never seen a dog have one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how long do the last and what do you look for how do you tell if it's that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do you treat this condition they can tell by his blood test what do we to help him here at home and how long does it last

They can have full seizures like people do or they can have seizures where they just seem distant (like don't look at you when you say their name) and trembling. They usually last for a few seconds to a few minutes and there I really no way to know for sure that is what it is without doing a workup. And even an MRI will not always tell you.

One other possibility that might not show up on routine bloodwork and happens in young dogs is a liver shunt. This is where there are blood vessels that bypass the liver so the blood isn't filtered appropriately. This can lead to occasional nitrogen build up in the blood which can make them feel and act strange. Sometimes a bile acids test will detect this when other tests do not. This is a pretty simple blood test your veterinarian could do to rule this out. The tests for possible seizures are thousands of dollars.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This last for hours and he goes in circles and acts if he is having haluctions pupils are big plus he urinated like on my coach he doesn't do that

That sounds like it could be a seizure. The seizure part last for minutes but they can have a 'post ictal' period afterward where they circle or pace. This is the part where the brain is recovering from the seizure. It is hard in him because the 'seizure' part doesn't look any different than the post ictal part.

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian