Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy fell down the stairs and is favoring s back foot

Customer Question
My puppy fell down the...
My puppy fell down the stairs and is favoring his back foot won't put weight down on it. He is still eating and drinking and going to the bathroom but the leg is bothering him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is no wound and he will let us manipulate that leg and touch all over his body
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: No, he is a 9 week old healthy Malinois puppy he just got bumped down the stairs by our other dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

So, puppies at that age have so many growth plates in their leg.... Each bone on each end has a growth plate which is the focal point when the bone is growing from. Trauma to growth plates can cause small fractures or pain and really effect the way the leg develops. He really needs some xrays to know how serious this is and what to do from here. If it is possible to get him to a veterinarian today for xrays I would do that. If not, then confine him as much as possible so he doesn't traumatize that leg further and get him to a veterinarian for xrays tomorrow.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian