Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog who is almost 10 (miniature schnauzer) won't eat

Customer Question
today and is sleeping under...
My dog who is almost 10 (miniature schnauzer) won't eat today and is sleeping under my desk and breathing a little heavy. Not panting - diaphragm rising and falling. For the last 2 days she would not eat her own food but was happy to eat chicken and frozen green beans. Today, she does not want the chicken or her bean treats. We recently brought a kitty home and the kitty touched her food and bowl so I thought it was that.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Phoebe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Phoebe?
Customer: She was sick about 3 weeks ago -vomited several times and went to the ER where she had a lot of tests done. She had a slight UTI and received ABX for it. Seemed to be better and now this. She has high triglycerides and one vet thought she might need a Cushing's work up but she only had one out of whack (and just slightly) lab value for that so I don't know.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Van Noy

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Phoebe.

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to earn your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea?
  • Are you able to take her temperature?
  • Was it her Alkaline Phosphatase that was elevated?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No vomiting or diarrhea
I could try to take her temp - would I do ear?
I am trying to find the paperwork from the lab and it might have been Alk Phos.
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

Ear temperatures don't work well. You'll need to take a rectal temperature. Either with a digital or mercury thermometer.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian