Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog gave birth to puppies 7 weeks ago but is still having

Customer Question
some bleeding. Is this...
My dog gave birth to puppies 7 weeks ago but is still having some bleeding. Is this normal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Piper's bleeding exceeds the time most of us will accept - up to 6 weeks - and is considered to be due to subinvolution of placental sites - which is suspected particularly in young bitches after whelping their first litter. This describes a persistent hemorrhage due to failure of the normal clotting and closing of endometrial blood vessels which occurs as part of the involution (disappearance) of the placental sites where once there were feti. Diagnostics to be run include cytology and culture of vaginal discharge to assess for presence of infection, careful abdominal palpation +/- radiography and/or ultrasound to rule out metritis, retained placentas or feti, complete blood count to rule out metritis and monitor packed cell colume (PCV) in a bitch with chronic hemorrhage, and testing for brucellosis. Treatment is by spaying in bitches not intended for breeding in the future and supportive care for those left intact.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Piper. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian