Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just got a new dog and she has been throwing up. Now she

Customer Question

I just got a new dog and she has been throwing up. Now she is drinking water and vomitting up yellow foam
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She only eats what the pet place gave me which was pedigree little champions. I wonder if it's her diet change
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella, 4 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No ma'am
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Was it a quick diet change over? Or gradual?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got her 2 days ago. She started throwing up yesterday. I only gave her the food that the pet store gave me so I don't know if that's what she was eating before or what. She just had water but instantly threw it up it was yellow foam. Her gums are a pale white. No tenderness. No she hasn't eating anything unsual. When she first started throwing up she was throwing up food now it's the foam.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Oh dear,

Have her gums been this color since you got her or just now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not even sure.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

First, if her gums are white just now (you can compare her gums to yours), then this is an urgent situation and we'd want her seen right away. Pale gums can be a sign of heart and lung issues, but with her I'd be more concerned about a anemia (low red blood cell levels) from worms or even a gut blockage (from something she ate or worms). So, do compare and if she is pale. we'd want her seen now.

Otherwise, with her not even keeping water down, we will struggle to help her at home. In fact, in cases this nauseous, we do often need to use anti-nausea medication by injection to break this vomiting cycle. Though if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. Though again if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Though if she does steady, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Overall, those gums are a real worry. So, if they are pale, we'd want her seen without delay. And the same goes if she is too nauseous for water or the above. That way we can get to the root of this and her vet can address both issues to ensure the paling gums doesn't lead to something that shortens her life.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )