Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has little raised bumps on back and head that I only

Customer Question

My dog has little raised bumps on back and head that I only see because they are pushing hair up. He is on Metronidazole, his 3rd round, for diarrhea. Can I give him Benadryl?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kenobi, 7-8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kenobi?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Kenobi is having this reaction. You certainly can give benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours overnight and continue x 24 horus but if you redose the metronidazole and they come back quicker or he becomes itchy, pale gums, increased respiratory rate then please discontinue the metronidazole.

Most likely he came in contact with something he was allergic to, a metronidazole allergy is very uncommon but can occur.

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 10 minutes to assist you

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope the bumps have resolved for Kenobi and he is more comfortable! I would love an update when you are able...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman