Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

We're a time breeder of St Bernards here in Pa.. Our year

Customer Question

Hello , We're a long time breeder of St Bernards here in Pa.. Our year old male died suddenly over night, no symptoms, not apparent bloat. We are having extreme hot weather with temps in low nineties and humidity. Our male is outside- what are signs of heat stroke?
Marvin Martin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear that Marvin :( My condolences on your loss. Did you find him after he had already passed away?

Symptoms of heat stroke include:

Very heavy panting and respiratory distress

Exhaustion, weakness

Vomiting and diarrhea

And Extremely high body temperature (often 105-108 degrees)

If he became worked up (barking, overly excited), in 90 degree weather- this can easily lead to heat stroke. Especially in a male "stud" dog if there are females around. Unfortunately, dogs don't always know when to take it easy, and they willingly go beyond the limits of what their bodies can take. In this type of weather, he could have easily pushed himself beyond what his body could handle. In the future, try to keep excitable dogs like him away from things that could stimulate him to get worked up, and it is best to keep in fully shaded areas when outdoors, or inside with air-conditioning.

If he had an underlying heart issue, or breathing problem such as elongated soft palate or laryngeal issues, this could also make him more prone to heat stroke.

Of course, there is the possibility it could have been another problem. He may have just had a faulty heart. Heart disease can be insidious and the heart can fail sometimes without any warning.

I hope my answers have provided some insight. Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Do you have any other questions for me now?

If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!