Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Crusty and raw around my dogs eyes and mouth. Max is around

Customer Question
Crusty and raw around my...
Crusty and raw around my dogs eyes and mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max is around 7 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He was in the past diagnosed with food allergies when this happened before.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Can you upload a photo(s) of Max's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Excoriated skin secondary to an allergic dermatitis, superficial spreading pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), and the pemphigus complex (autoimmune skin disorder) are important differential diagnoses.

Thank you! The changes around Max's lips appear to reflect a lip fold or mucocutaneous pyoderma. These are addressed as follows:

1) Cleansing wipes (i.e., alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, other antimicrobial wipes) used every 12-72 hours work very well.

2) Alternatively, routine topical therapy can be used to control the skin problem. The affected area should be cleaned every 1-3 days as needed with an antibacterial shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, benzoyl peroxide, or ethyl lactate. These shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, online, or at Max's vet hospital.

3) Topical application of an antibiotic ointment, solution, or spray every 24 hours for the first 5-7 days of therapy may be helpful. The safe prescription mupirocin ointment is available through Max's vet and should be considered.

The ulcer under his eye isn't consistent with either type of pyoderma but is likely to represent a focal and deep pyoderma best addressed with thorough cleansing as mentioned above plus a systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin administered for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. The cephalexin would need to be prescribed by Max's vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian