Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 8 month old german shepherd, in the last 24 to 48

Customer Question

I have a 8 month old german shepherd, in the last 24 to 48 hours started with a odd hack like a cat with a fur ball. it was a here and there now it at least once an hour i notice it and after he barks he makes the hack sound and now in the 24 hours he has started to drool out the left side of his mouth, and that never happens, he is not a drooler. No change in food, no raw hide bones, the only thing I have given his is a oral flea medicine, on Thursday, that i got as a sample from my vet office. It was a sample for his weight size, it was simparica. he has barely eaten since then. Dont know if there is a connection.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If Barret is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat like a cat with a hair ball. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, your dog can pick this up anywhere although it is suspitious that Barret was recently at the vets where he could have easily picked this up. This coughing will also cause excessive salivation or drooling because of this irritation. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give your sweet Barret 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of his weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so he is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Barret to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease. Because of his young age, this is unlikely. I am concerned since you say that Barret is not eating well and this is unusual for this condition....if this continues, have your vet examine him since this could also be caused by an abscessed tooth that would be painful to Barret.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, i was away from my computer, it does make since, He did not go to the vets with me to pick up the simparica. I was just immunized for kennel cough 2 months ago before we started obedience classes. We ended classes 2 weeks ago. Since he has had an immunization would he still be as likely to get it? I will try the robitussin for the cough. Im always leary about people medicine unless a Dr tells me its ok so I had not tried anything to make him more comfortable.Thank You
Carla
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will keep a close eye on him over the weekend and if hes not responding to the OTC meds I will get him into the local Vet.

HI Carla....vaccines are not 100% effective even if up to date, unfortunately. I have used the cough medicine for years without any problems and it is the same ingredient in prescription veterinary cough preparations so this should help Barrett. Good for you, Carla...if no response, have Barrett checked by your vet on Monday.