Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 6 year old Brittany, Max has been itching and biting s

Customer Question
Hello, our 6 year old...
Hello, our 6 year old Brittany, Max has been itching and biting his stomach, tail area, and one red scaly sore has sored to several all over his stomach. He does not have fleas, or any ticks. We live in western PA, and are now on a trip to Cape Cod for a week, this skin condition has worsened.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max. He has a color and we took him to our Vet prior to this trip and he was fine. The one red spot on his belly (Dry skin?) though has spread throughout his stomach area. Is there a topical ointment available for this? Eczema?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He has had 2 petit map seizures in the pas 6 years, but otherwise is in great health. We walk him 4 miles a day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Max is having these skin issues especially on a trip away from home...makes this more difficult for you and sweet Max.

From what you have told me, it appears that your dog is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.

For now , follow these instructions:

Apply Betadine and Cortaid or a topical cortisone ointment to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation of the scratching. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
1 Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days to help stop the scratching which is making Max's irritation worse. This may be due to the change in environment also.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. The seizures in Max's past will have nothing to do with this skin condition. Sometimes, a steroid treatment will help if other treatments fail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! This has been very helpful.

You are very welcome!! I hope sweet Max feels better soon! He probably wants this vacation as much as you and your family...

Hi Barb,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian