Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I'm staying with my 5 year old male Cavalier Spaniel at my

Customer Question

I'm staying with my 5 year old male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel at my family's cottage in Dorset, Ontario. He's been doing great for the last few days that I've been alone with him right now, but the last few hours he has been very restless when he would normally be sleeping. While he's been here he has been doing a lot of swimming in Lake of Bays and sitting down on our dock, which requires going up and down stairs. He's been eating moderately portioned meals as well as having a couple of dog treats here and there.
He's been pretty restless since 11p.m so I took him for some small walks and even gave him a dog treat and some food since he seemed hungry and hadn't eaten in about 10 hours. But, he still has not settled down. He's not wimpering or complaining too much, but is restless. His ears felt a little hot so I put some tri octic ointment that he has been prescribed for that. I also gave him 1/2 of the 50mg of Tramadol that I sometimes give him for pain and 1/2 of the 1mg of Alprazolam that I give him for anxiety when he travels on an airplane. But they don't seem to be making too much of a difference yet. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, JACustomer. I'm sorry it's taken so long to receive a response. I signed on and found that your question needed to be answered and I am here now to help. How is your companion doing today?