Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My vet believes she has yeast between her little paws, hence

Customer Question
why she constantly bites and...
My vet believes she has yeast between her little paws, hence why she constantly bites and licks her paws. I have plenty of nystatin cream at home, but I'm certain she will try kicking it if I put it on her paws. Will it hurt her if she licks it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Paisley, 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paisley?
Customer: Nope. She's otherwise very healthy!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

You can use Nystatin cream on the feet as a topical anti-fungal treatment. I would try to get an e-collar (lampshade collar) to use to prevent her from licking at it. If she does lick it, you may end up seeing some nausea/ vomiting as a side effect.

The other thing that helps a lot with these allergic induced infections between the toes is Malaseb wipes. They have antifungal and antibiotic properties. Many people will use these 1-2 times daily to keep the pathogen counts low.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would Neosporin help? She doesn't vomit when she licks that. I've had to put it on a few scratch marks of hers from constantly biting at her paws.

Neosporin is an antibiotic, but it won't do anything for the yeast. You could use the two together to help with bacteria and yeast.

Some Benadryl would help with the itching/ licking. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given up to every 6 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! I should have caught that, considering I'm an RN. Lol. It's been a long week. Thanks again!

No problem. Happy to help!

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian