Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My pet is flying from the uk tomorrow and s microchip is

Customer Question

My pet is flying from the uk tomorrow and his microchip is failing to work. Obviously this chip is his passport and rabies vaccination. My question is as I spend a lot of the time in and out of the usa obviously I need this problem solved asap. If he lands tomorrow can i take him to a vet and get an emergency vaccination or what do I need to do? I'm at a loss here because I'm due into the USA again this Saturday morning and I have no one to look after him if he can't go? Please help thank you. I have his passport with proof he's done but obviously if the chip isn't working he won't be registered. Thank you Peter.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this microchip not working. I am sure this was checked: is the correct microchip reader being used for the type of chip he has? Sometimes chips migrate; was his whole body checked for the chip, not just the back of the neck?

You should be OK on rabies; you should have a rabies certificate and proof of rabies in his passport. If you do not, you can always get another vaccination. Also, you are coming from a rabies free country (UK) so you may not need proof of rabies. His microchip is not proof of rabies vaccination, his rabies certificate is. If you have a document proving he had a rabies vaccination in the last 3 years, you should be able to enter the US.

Here is a webpage about US regulations:

http://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dogs.html

You might want to get another microchip implanted if the one he has is truly not working.

Let me know if this helps, and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.