Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog crashed the doors open to my bedroom, slumped down

Customer Question

my dog crashed the doors open to my bedroom, slumped down panting heavily in the middle of the night, he wanted me to get up immediately and let him out to garden, he did not seem so stable on his legs, and breathing weird, when I console him (he's on the bed now and was DETERMINED to jump up there.....to be close...weird) and stroke him he reaches his paw to me....his nose is hot and his head appears to be sweating, he is a BAshar and like a bear, thick dense fur...we are in England so it's not the heat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Also just after getting everyone to bed there was a huge crash in the living room, he had laid down under the coffee table 9VERY HEAVY....hit his head somehow....even weirder, anyhow I listening to his breathing....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: he is a basset Sharpai cross, heavy is walked every day
JA: How old is Sharpai?
Customer: He will be 6 in July
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His Name is Billy
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

HEllo,

I am sorry to hear about Billy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Can you take his temperature with a thermometer? If you check his gums, are they pink in color or pale?

It sounds like he could have a fever; it would be good to know if his temperature is normal (101 to 102F). (38.6 C)

He may have had some kind of allergic reaction, to a beesting or spider. Or, is it possible he could have gotten into anything he should not have eaten?

It sounds like he needs to be examined by a veterinarian to determine what is wrong, and how best to treat him. If his gums look pale to you, this could be serious. If I could I would feel his pulse, listen to his heart and lungs with a stethoscope, palpated his internal organs, test his reflexes, look to see if his pupil are dilated or different sizes. After examining him, I would know what to do next: administer medication for an allergic reaction, give pain medication, start IV fluids, etc.

Let me know how his pupil look, if his gums are pink and if you are able to take his temperature.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote; I have not heard back from you! How is Billy doing? Can I answer any more of your questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eleanor,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?