Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Last Friday Millie, (a Shih Tzu /Bichon blend) ate some

Customer Question
last Friday Millie, (a...
last Friday Millie, (a Shih Tzu /Bichon blend) ate some onions. our vet indicated that we should make her throw up using hydrogen peroxide. She took forever to throw up but when she did she was at the dog sitters and it sounded like she threw up most if not all of the onions. she has not acted any differently until today when about an hour ago did not come to beg at the table for supper. We have a guest here who is unfamiliar to but she her has been going into corners and under a bed and now is sitting in the corner of this room looking at me. Could it still be an issues from the onions? I have been giving her some vitamin C in her food just starting on Wednesday. any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Millie two and 1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Millie Two?
Customer: she did act like this before when she had fleas but we just treated her about two weeks ago with K9 Advantix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Onion toxicity shouldn't be incriminated for two reasons. The first is that it takes at least 0.5% (5 grams/kg of body weight) to develop onion toxicosis and I believe that to be more than Millie could have ingested. Please tell me how much she weighs. The second is that onion toxicosis causes a delayed anemia - usually 2-5 days after ingestion of the onion. I would be suspicious that her treatment - the peroxide - was more the problem than the onion. Peroxide induces emesis by irritating the stomach lining. I would be patient with her for up to 36 hours. Fasting her in order to rest her GI tract is reasonable. Water should be left down unless drinking induces vomiting at which time ice cubes for Millie to lick should replace her water.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian