Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Would the side affect of a swollen lymph node in a dog be

Stertor? My dog had...
Would the side affect of a swollen lymph node in a dog be Stertor? My dog had an xray yesterday and the passage way was clear.
7/7/2016
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lily. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If an enlarged lymph node was pressing on the throat or windpipe, it could cause stertor. Is the funny breathing noise coming from her nose, or her chest? Is she coughing at all?

Have any blood tests been done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No blood test done, when they did cytology they had a little bit of blood? A blood panel could be a different kind of test. She has these spells where she sounds like she is coughing and when she isn't having spells it sounds like a snore? All last night when she was sleeping. She is eating good, fairly playful. The lymph node has gone down to the size of a lg gum ball. Been 2 times yesterday and last Thursday. 700 dollars no answers �� If she doesn't get better the vet wants to put her under and do exploratory sx?? Yesterday doctor was sure passage was blocked is why they did X-ray it was clear.

A blood panel would be to check things like red and white blood cell counts, liver and kidney function, etc.

Could the blockage be in her nose; have they Xrayed her nose and sinuses for a blockage?

Where is the lymph node that was aspirated; in her neck? Internal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They took 2 X-rays yesterday one of her laying on her side and one with her laying on her back to check lymph and salvary glands and most of the teeth, checked ears. Everything from the ears down to below neck she said looked normal and this crazy noise she is making seemed to just come on yesterday st 2:30. She is eating and sleeping and urinating fine. Solid stool.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe lymph node internal she woke up and she had a big lump on the right side.

It is hard to say what this may be, without hearing the noise she makes, seeing the xrays and looking at her blood tests.

Can you tell me if the noise sounds like it is from her nose, her chest or her throat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's like her nose is clogged? I called another veterinary for a second opinion? I would have ta***** *****ly to Dr. Cardwell but he was out of town. I left a voice message today hopefully they will call tom. Am?
Thank you for your help.

You are welcome. If her nose is clogged, that could be where this noise is coming from. You can try using nose drops such as Little Noses, or any nose drops made for children: 1 drop in each nostril, once to twice daily. Is there any discharge from her nose?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No discharge.

There could be something in her nose: swelling, infection, a growth or a foreign body. Did they xray her nose and sinuses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe that they did, I could call tom and ask. Today is her 8 day on antibiotics, she is up, playing, eating, starting a new antibiotic today Baytol was taking Clavamox.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is a Pom Dachshund mix had cherry eyes as a baby surgery for that, has allergy eyes, maybe allergies? If she isn't better she will be going back soon.

It sounds good if she is eating and playing. Please let me know how she is doing and if you have any other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian