Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is on temeral p and she is 2. The reason is due to

Customer Question

My dog is on temeral p and she is 2. The reason is due to inflamed airways in her about most likely caused by allergies. My vet basically said she will need to be on this for the rest of her life. I need an alternative natural option that is not prednisone based. She can't be on temeral p for 10-12 more years. She's an 8.5 lb chiweenie.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: My dog is on temeral p and she is 2. The reason is due to inflamed airways in her about most likely caused by allergies. My vet basically said she will need to be on this for the rest of her life. I need an alternative natural option that is not prednisone based. She can't be on temeral p for 10-12 more years. She's an 8.5 lb chiweenie
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Okay his is a joke.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Are you just asking scripted questions
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: Well again here's my problem: My dog is on temeral p and she is 2. The reason is due to inflamed airways in her about most likely caused by allergies. My vet basically said she will need to be on this for the rest of her life. I need an alternative natural option that is not prednisone based. She can't be on temeral p for 10-12 more years. She's an 8.5 lb chiweenie
JA: Is your dog eating normally?
Customer: Yes, she acts like herself but she has coughing and sneezing attacks and sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night having a hard time breathing
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Marla. I really want to try to find a safer alternative to temeral p
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marla?
Customer: She's perfectly healthy other than these acute symptoms that are giving her a lower quality of life from time to time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would not want to have her on steroids her whole life either. I would want to treat the actual allergies as opposed to the symptoms. To do that, you need to find out first what she's allergic to. You do that by doing allergy testing. Typically this is with a dermatologist.

Once you know what she's allergic to, you can make an allergy serum to slowly desensitize her immune system. This is using her own immune system to treat the allergies. It's call Immunotherapy.

Here is a nice link on how the process is done:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2430

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank Dr. Gary that is the most hopeful answer I have gotten so far and I've been in contact with 2 vets. One vet suggested taking her to an internal specialist but I feel that is more invasive than we need to get. I have Trupanion medical insurance for her and I know they cover immunotherapy. Would this essentially mean she would not be on some form of medicine for the rest of her life?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

They will often use a steroid while starting immunotherapy, but the goal is to be off steroids completely and only on a maintenance immunotherapy dose lifelong. They now have a sublingual immunotherapy that takes away the having to inject your dog. I have seen a handful of dogs on this and the owners have been quite pleased with the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic! I will speak with my vet about a dermatologist they recommend and go from there. This has been incredibly helpful and I really appreciate your time and advice.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a good plan.

Happy to help.