Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 12 has a non metatststic cancerous tumor in s leg

Customer Question
my dog is 12 has...
my dog is 12 has a non metatststic cancerous tumor in his leg - he had surgery and had it removed twice before- he has also just had a 6lb fatty tumor removed 6 weeks ago. i just don't know if i can put him thru this again.4 surgeries is a lot. if i do nothing he will lose his leg - i don't know whats worse. should i put him down? - i feel horribly guilty.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....does your dog have any other health Problems?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not that I'm aware - he has had mange and lyme disease (both treated). he is a smooth coat collie. very nervous. he already has a limp from both the front and back leg surgeries. the blood cancer tumor is in the right front. i have never done radiation- its too much money and too difficult- i just can't leave it it grows daily- i have to make a decision

I understand. Is he taking any medication for the pain?

In this size dog at that age I would not consider amputation because that will be way too hard on him. When is the last time that he had surgery to remove part of that specific tumor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi i payed for response- the last tumor surgery was last october

Customer service is contacting you in regards ***** ***** failure. They have requested I wait until this is resolved.

I am sorry I have to retire for the night. I am going to have to opt out of this question. Best of luck to you. DRB

Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I also have a special interest in hospice and end of life care for pets. I'm so sorry that you are stuck in this very difficult situation with your pup. What is his name?

When you say it's a blood tumor - what do you mean by this? Do you have an actual name of the type of cancer (like hemangiosarcoma, pericytoma, soft tissue sarcoma, preipheral nerve sheath tumor, or something else?)

How many times has he had this mass removed before?

Does your vet think that the mass can be removed again easily or not?

Thanks and I'll await your reply.

~Dr. Sara

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian