Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has a small hard lump on the very tip of s ear. I looks a

Customer Question
He has a small hard...
He has a small hard lump on the very tip of his ear. I looks a little like a blood blister but had bit of crust around it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: shap 2 years GSD
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about GSD?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with Shap today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay the following info:

1. when was the lump first noted?
  2. has it changed at all since first noted?
  3. how is Shap doing otherwise?
  4. is he scratching at the bump?
  5. are you able to upload a picture of the bump?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. Less than a week ago
2. Haven't noted any change in size or anything
3. He is good he has been having problems with environmental allergies and was itchy for a while but is now on prenizone and hasn't been having a problem for a while.
4. No he doesn't seem to care or mind about it. He lets me look at it without it hurting.
5. This was the best photo I could get at the moment

OK, thanks for the picture- that is great.

Possible causes include:

1. Reaction for insect bite or sting

2. Localized bacterial infection in skin

3. Trauma (bit wound or scratch)

4. Cyst or tumor

Most likely this is a benign cyst or tumor, but there is a possibility it can be cancerous. The most common type of benign tumors I see in young dogs like Shap is called a histiocytoma

See this link on histiocytomas: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/skin-cutaneous-histiocytoma/592

The only way to know for sure is to either have it removed surgically and submitted for biopsy, or have a fine-needle aspirate performed to collect a small sample of cells for diagnosis. These types of tumors usually self-regress within a matter of weeks to a couple months.

You can certainly try applying an antibacterial ointment such as neosporin twice daily for a week or 2. If it has not resolved, or is getting worse in any way- get him checked out for testing.

I hope this has helped; can I answer anything else for you now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I pop it and put neosporin on it?

You can try applying very gentle pressure to it (like squeezing a pimple), but if nothing comes out do not press too hard as it can irritate it further, and it may be a solid lump with nothing to squeeze out. Definitely try some Neosporin. Can I help with anything else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thank you

OK then, I hope I have been able to help you with Shap. Please let me know if anything else comes up, and let me know how he does! If you would like to accept my answer, kindly press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian