Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was recently in the hospital bc of low platelet count

Customer Question
and today I took her...
My dog was recently in the hospital bc of low platelet count and today I took her for her follow up appt and they put her back on the 2nd dose of worm medicine and some other pills. I gave her the 2 pills in a little piece of low sodium chicken cold cut half a piece actually then gave her the liquid medicine by mouth before feeding her she ate then after barfed everything up 3 separate times in less than 5 mins. My question is did she puke bc I hadn't fed her yet or is she sick again
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lala. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Did her platelet count go back up or is it still low?

What were the medications she got today when she vomited? It might be the medication making her vomit, but I need to know what they were to give you a good answer.

Was she vomiting before when she was sick or this something new?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when she was released from the hospital it was at like 116k today it was around 60k so the doc put her back on minocycline 2x a day for the next 2 was and also panacur 19ml for the next 4 days which is the 2nd part of her deworming. She also got her annual shots today rabies the one u need to get more heart worm meds and w'e it is they give once a year. the vomiting is new she went to the hospital bc she was bleeding out of her butt
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Minocycline for the next 2 weeks.

Minocycline can cause vomiting, especially on an empty stomach so if she did not have anything in her stomach that may be why she vomited. Try feeding her, getting some food into her, and then giving the minocycline.

Let me know if this is helpful, and what other questions I can answer.

How is Lala doing? I did not hear back from you.

Please let me know if this was helpful, and if I can answer more of your questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian