Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Strange black cauliflower spots on skin. Spots have ring of

Customer Question

Hi.
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Strange black cauliflower spots on skin. Spots have ring of skin flaking off around them. Eye discharge. White if one eye seems pink. Flaky skin like dandruff. Yellow/brown flaky and waxy substance in inner ear. Flaky red skin around anus. Excessive shedding. Mild itching. .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that.
Customer: She was just at the vet for a checkup but they ignored my questions. I think my female doberman has a skin issue or infection tbat has spread to her anus.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Doberman's name and age?
Customer: Leia is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leia?
Customer: We are in the eoods hiking a lot in areas with ticks and mites and such
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Woods
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long have they been present?Are they raised like lumps or discoloration patches on the skin?Is the eye discharge clear or snotty?What treatment do you use against fleas/mites/ticks? How often? Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doc,I first noticed these black spots about 4 weeks ago. I had a chigger out reak from a hike in the woods with Leia, and checked her skin at that time. All I found on her at the time was this firstblack spot here..(More to come)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They seems to be slowly multiplying. At first only 1, now maybe 4. Here is another, newer spot.. nNone are red and inflamed at this time.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

And is she on any tick preventative just now? Have you seen any ticks on her?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The reason I ask is because both lesions look like hyperpigmentation, which is just a skin reaction to irritation. Though from the photo, the second one looks a it raised and I'd be wary of whether that could be a melanoma.So, if it is as raised as it looks, we may need that one checked.

Otherwise, back to the first photo, the red ring of inflammation is quite active and gives the impression of an infected tick bite (both with the inflammation and that bacteria crusting). So, we'd want to salt water bathe the skin itself to address the topical infection but with how inflamed it looks, we may need to ring her vet about a short course of antibiotics. Otherwise, we may need to re-evaluate tick treatments here since again these focal areas suggest reaction because of a singular bite and they would be our top suspect.

Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay. Her eye discharge is snotty yellow. I currently have her on Trifexis but want to add a tick med asap. Its funny that you mention mites because in the last 30 days ive had two just insane insect break outs (like 80 bites at a time abdomen legs groin) 3 weeks apart on myself, from little devils ive never even seen. They are taking over a month to heal. I was worried they might be coming from her. But she had a blood work up before dental cleaning 2 weeks ago and got 2 thumbs up. Infected tick bites hmm.. Well, I did have one tick on my belly 30 days ago, prob from Leia sleeping next to me. Its still red too. But that 1 tick is all I have ever seen. Concerning the raised skin feeling of the bumps, I will definitely speak with my vet about that when we talk about flea and tick meds and maybe antibiotics. Thank you for the advice. Bare with me I just want to get on the same page- you're suggesting that perhaps all of Leia's black spots might be a reaction to a single bite? Thats very interesting. I know this is a conversation about Leia, but I cant help but draw a parallel to my own I case. We were both probably bit by the same tick or from the same nest, seeing as how we are always together. Bites on both human and dog red with infection for weeks, strange marks, hers black mine red, appearing without explanation on both of us, mostly on the hotter areas of our skin, for 30 days after. I wonder if if the same thing can happen to both of us lol. Have you ever heard of such a thing?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I do think the first one is highly suspicious of a tick bite with secondary inflammation and hyperpigmentation. And it is quite possible you were both exposed at the same time but that since she has more pigment cells (melanocytes), she has also developed that pigment change where you just have inflammation.

Otherwise, that sounds like a good course of action but if her eye discharge is snotty, then we may have a brewing bacterial conjunctivitis as well. So, you may want to flush Leia’s eyes with eye safe saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) but we may just need her vet to send home some antibiotics drops if it is profuse or causing her bother.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are 4 more pics if you dont mind looking at them please. The more info the better, right? First is a current black spot pic as it seems to be healing? Second a pic if her anus- it has same spots plus flesh colored lumps and some kind of milky discharge? I dunno I dont lift her tail all that often lol. Last 2 pics are her inner ears. Yes ma'am I hear you about ticks meds and antibiotics, plus the salt bath. I just wanted you to see everything that looked significant before we finished. Thank you so much for your time. You have been great! =)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No worries,

The first one does look to be fading, though while quite small and unassuming I don't like the rectal lump. It may just be an ademona but with how little spare skin there is in that region (if one wanted to remove something or if it were to grow), I'd think about having it tested. Or at least plan to keep an eagle eye on it and have it checked if there is any chance in size. Otherwise, the ears just look waxy and an OTC ear flush treatment would be indicated to help clear that.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet