Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 14yr. Old dacshund Muffin was having extremely rapid eye

Customer Question

My 14yr. Old dacshund Muffin was having extremely rapid eye twitching I came in from being gone when I picked her up it was very scary for me and I'm sure for her too.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Sharon, you've described nystagmus - one of the signs of vestibular (balance) disorder along with ataxia ("drunken sailor") and head tilt. Are any of these symptoms persisting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seem to gave subsided , now she's just licking her paws and the sheet she's laying on. She seems better now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this continues. Is this serious what should i do? Let it pass, get her to the vet asap, what?

I'm pleased to hear that it was transient. I might consider a transient semicircular canal irritation (inner ear infection?) causing vertigo. "Watchful waiting" is appropriate. We need to know if the nystagmus returns and if other symptoms arise. The idiopathic (unknown cause) vestibular disorder is most common at Muffin's age and there isn't any specific treatment other than the tincture of time for that disorder and so having her vet attend to her at this time isn't necessary. Please continue our conversation if you wish.